James Dashner joins us for a Q&A at Utah Valley University during Life, The Universe, and Everything.
The first question starts out amazingly rough, but the 12-year-old asking it manages to stick the landing. The questions include:
- Why is the ARC of James’ first book so different from the later books?
- How do you handle paragraph- and sentence-level edits?
- How do you plot your stories?
- How do you craft endings that are both satisfying, and leave the reader wanting more?
- What do you do when your compelling villain threatens to take over the whole book?
Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: Everneath, by Brody Ashton, narrated by Amy Rubinate
Writing Prompt: You get kidnapped and put in an asylum for the criminally sane.
This episode of Writing Excuses has been brought to you by Audible. Visit http://AudiblePodcast.com/excuse for a free trial membership*.
*Note: From the Audible website, here are the terms of the free membership. Read the fine print, please!
Audible® Free Trial Details
* Get your first 30 days of the AudibleListener® Gold membership plan free, which includes one credit. In almost all cases, one credit equals one audiobook. After your 30 day trial, your membership will automatically renew each month for just $14.95, billed to the credit card you used when you registered with Audible. With your membership, you will receive one credit per month plus members-only discounts on all audio purchases. If you cancel your membership before your free trial period is up, you will not be charged. Thereafter, cancel anytime, effective the next billing cycle. See the complete terms and policy applicable to Audible memberships.