Our third Elemental Drama episode is a Q&A, featuring Tananarive Due. The questions are from the attendees at the Writing Excuses Workshop and Retreat:
- Rather than having a protagonist change themselves, can elemental drama have the protagonist change others?
- What happens when a character refuses to learn, refuses to overcome their flaw(s)?
- What are the lines between drama and melodrama?
- Do you have tips for describing body language that communicates character states?
- Are there cases where you should not show character growth or change?
- How do you keep it realistic when writing a character who undergoes a great change?
Credits: This episode was recorded aboard Oasis of the Seas by Bert Grimm, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
In preparation for next month, and Elemental Issue, define both sides of an issue about which you’re passionate. Write down the arguments in favor of the side you disagree with, but don’t use strawman arguments.
Ghost Summer, by Tananarive Due