For our third Elemental Humor episode Victoria Schwab joins us as we field questions taken from our audience at Phoenix Comic-Con. Here are the questions:
- How do you add humor to a serious story without breaking the tension?
- How do I move beyond the “Dad jokes” and into properly funny writing?
- When is humor necessary in horror?
- Where is the line between a comedic book, and a book that uses humor as a subgenre.
- How do you make dialog sound natural, while still sounding funny?
Credits: this episode was recorded live at Phoenix Comic Con by Jeff Cools, and mastered by Alex Jackson
Write a joke, and have each of your characters tell that joke. Find a way for them to tell that joke “in character,” in their style.
A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab