Shannon Hale joined us at LTUE 2016 to field questions about the Idea elemental genre. Here are the questions:
- How do you keep an elemental idea story from feeling like you’re just waiting for the idea to “unlock.”
- How do you tie your character motivations to the idea?
- How do you know when you’ve satisfactorily explored the idea?
- Are there elemental idea stories that you just need to give up on?
- Is there such a thing as “idea clutter?”
Credits: This episode was recorded live by Daniel Thompson, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Become a Patron: Writing Excuses is supported in part by our friends at Patreon. Become a patron, and get bonus content, plus early access to episodes!
Pick your favorite idea from the brainstorming exercise, and then work your way forward, plotting out the consequences, and work your way backward, plotting the reasons.
The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale, narrated by Cynthia Bishop