Happy New Year, and happy new season of Writing Excuses!

Eric James Stone joins us to talk about his latest book deal. These things are different for everyone, and the marketplace is changing so quickly that it’s worth noting the differences and the similarities between our deal experiences (three of us were sitting on brand-new deals as of the recording of this podcast.)

Eric in particular walks us through the chronology of his current book deal, from the original writing, through the agent representation and multiple rejections and revisions, all the way to the current contract. Did Eric’s Nebula win (for a different story) help this deal along a bit? Oh, it may very well have done exactly that.

Liner Notes: Here’s Jim Hine’s “First Novel Survey” results page.

Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: Ender's World: Fresh Perspectives on the SF Classic Ender's Game, a collection of essays by numerous writers, and narrated by lots of narrators. Both Eric and Mary wrote for this collection. (Note: it's currently not appearing on Audible's site, but Amazon shows it as being available through Audible. Weirdness!)

Writing Prompt: Write a story about someone who has amazing, incredible, wonderful news, but they're not allowed to talk about it.

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 5th, 2014 at 8:24 pm and is filed under Business, Career, Conventions, Guest, Publishing, Season 9, Submitting. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. January 5, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Happy New Year! Here’s looking forward to another fantastic season of Writing Excuses. Thanks many times for continuing these little weekly podcasts – they’re an invaluable resource.

Posted by Sam
  2. January 5, 2014 @ 10:39 pm

This was a great podcast :) I love hearing stories of how authors get published, it keeps me motivated and gives me hope! Thanks for sharing, and if they want to brag a little it’s ok with me, they’ve earned it!

Posted by Elizabeth
  3. January 6, 2014 @ 11:35 am

Guys, where is Dan? I haven’t heard of him in quite a few of the past episodes. He’s coming back, right? I miss him =(

Posted by Alexander
  4. January 7, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

Any chance that the old seasons will ever be available on Audible?

Posted by Lita
  5. January 8, 2014 @ 10:26 am

Congratulations to Howard, Eric, and Mary. I still have a long way to go before I worry about breaking in to the market, but every bit of advice helps.

Posted by Allen Brasch
  6. January 8, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

And as the new year kicks off, through the magic of listening and writing, we have…

A transcript! Yes, words to go with the sounds. Mostly.

Posted by 'nother Mike
  7. January 9, 2014 @ 8:49 am

I’d like to add my thanks to Eric for talking about how his process went (how much he could say anyway) because it’s a great reminder of what lays ahead for any of us trying to break in within the next few years, even if it won’t be exactly the same. Lots of useful info to keep in mind.

BTW, how long did the story end up being when it sold, since it sounds like a lot of edits happened over these 4-5 years between the first draft and selling it? I know you mentioned it ended up at ~63k words originally.

Posted by Patrick Sullivan
  8. January 12, 2014 @ 6:40 pm

> BTW, how long did the story end up being when it sold, since it sounds like a lot of edits
    > happened over these 4-5 years between the first draft and selling it? I know you
    > mentioned it ended up at ~63k words originally.

Patrick, the version that sold was ~83K words.

Posted by Eric James Stone
  9. January 12, 2014 @ 11:58 pm

Congratulations to all! No, this episode did not sound like bragging. To a writer trying to break in, it is balm to the soul to hear tales of actual success. I’ve been following you guys a long time and went back and listened to almost every episode (hurry make more, I’m running out) so it has been nice to follow Eric’s success.

I’m in limbo right now (with JABberwocky, ironically) wondering if anything will come of all this unexpected helpfulness I’ve been getting from them. God, it’s nice to hear chronological re-tellings of how this stuff plays out, assuming all goes well. It’s also nice to hear good reviews of the guys who have agreed to read my books. Every time I hear about Eddie or Joshua on any podcast or forum, it just makes me want them more.

Thanks for all the work you do. We listeners appreciate you and rejoice on your behalf when your hard work pays off. You don’t know it, but my empty kitchen just got a tankard of iced tea lifted in your honor, complete with a baby-not-waking, whispered “Huzzah!”

Posted by Gabe