Mette Ivie Harrison joins us again, this time for a cast about productivity. She’s written an eBook, 21 Reasons You Think You Don’t Have Time To Writewhich is currently free on the Kindle store. Here is the full list of 21 things, since we could spend an entire cast on just the first one.

The point here is to help you, the writer, to recognize the mental states and attitudes that are coming between you and your writing. It’s our hope that you’ll end up more productive, and we can’t think of a better thought upon which to end Writing Excuses Season 8.

Here is to a 2014 in which you write more, write better, and are happier doing it.

Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: Metatropolis: Green Space, in which Mary has a story. Lots of writers, lots of narrators. Go have a look!

Writing Prompt: Come up with a reason why the writer in your story absolutely cannot write, then have your writer manage to write anyway.

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 29th, 2013 at 10:37 pm and is filed under Career, Guest, Lifestyle, Season 8. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. December 29, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

Amazon says $2.97, but perhaps that’s due to my location.

Posted by 'nother Mike
  2. December 30, 2013 @ 8:20 am

I don’t have a kindle and I will not get a kindle. Can I get this ebook elsewhere?

Posted by Nightsbridge
  3. December 30, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Concerning writing spaces:

I can’t write in places where other people might see my screen. Anybody else have this problem?

Posted by Tony
  4. December 30, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

How does one keep a creative frame of mind, or get back in the “writing zone” personally and mentally or emotionally if they have several stressors happening in their personal lives? Do you just roll with the punches or is that why authors/writers have spouses and assistants? ;)

Posted by mike
  5. December 30, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Hey Night you can get an program for your computer that will allow you to read kindle published books you buy on amazon. The amazon store has it for free, I think win8 comes with it automatically even, since it’s free.

Posted by Jo
  6. December 31, 2013 @ 3:21 am

And, for the last time in 2013, here are the words to go with the podcast!

Yes, a transcript. Including a link to weekplan.net, which I think is the planner that Mary was talking about. Here you go!

And may the year of the horse (2014) be a romping ride for everyone!

7. December 31, 2013 @ 8:09 am

@Nightsbridge: You can get kindle eBooks and then read them on your pc/tablet/smart phone using apps that are available on every major platform.

Posted by Patrick Sullivan
  8. January 1, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

Love, love, love the idea of the pre-writing ritual. We only have one computer and it’s a desktop, so I can’t move it to a special space;having my writing computer/space be the same as my Facebook computer/space is a nightmare for my productivity. I recently seriously considered wearing a veil over my hair at church, not because I have religious beliefs about veiling, but because putting the veil on would help my brain enter “church space” so I’d get less distracted. Maybe I should wear a special writing hat so I can go into “writing space” instead of “screwing around on the Internet” space!

Posted by Rachel K
  9. January 2, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

Would you guys ever hopefully touch on excuse number seventeen in a future podcast?

17. You don’t actually like writing. You like having written. (Join the club.)

Because currently, I feel that I’m stuck here. I have so many ideas in my head that I want to pen down, but when it comes to putting them into words on a page, I feels so difficult and tedious, especially since my internal editor and need for perfectionism hinders me.

Posted by Slashe
  10. January 3, 2014 @ 11:00 pm

I’ve found that most of these excuses simply vanish if I make it a habit to write. I found a fun way to make and keep habits by using the website HabitRPG. It just turns making habits into a game, and also helps me keep my to-do list in order, and keeps me actually checking things off.
    I also find that I have to put myself in a studious atmosphere to write. So I setup my laptop at the library. But that’s just what works for me.

Posted by Dallan
  11. January 4, 2014 @ 5:41 pm

@slashe? Just pondering, and it seems to me that one approach to this would be taking on the weekly story challenge for yourself. Start with six stories — make yourself write and finish a story a week for six weeks. Then, at your discretion, you might want to continue for the next 3months, half-year, or even full year of stories. If you think of other stories during the week, go ahead and note them down for later, but require yourself to finish this week’s story before spending much time on those others. And, of course, since you are just doing this for practice, you can assuage your internal editor and perfectionism with the thought that you will come back later and revise it. Say after you have finished the six weeks, three months, six months, or a year?

Posted by 'nother Mike
  12. January 6, 2014 @ 11:05 am

The excuse of “I’ll have more time later to write” really hit me in the feels. My love left me this Christmas because I wasn’t dedicating enough time to writing to pursuing this hobby that I want to be my main passion. Devastated. it shook me so hard I have put myself on a program of making sure I write 500 words a day when I get home from work. Not a lot but enough that I know I am moving inexorably towards a finished book. I’ll never let my excuses which can come off as a perceived lack passion ruin a good thing again. Just letting you all know that you can lose everything you hold dear by not making time for your writing/passion.

Posted by merryxmas
  13. January 6, 2014 @ 11:15 am

One reason that people hold the mental work of writing in such low regard is modernity’s emphasis on the concrete over the abstract. That dominant attitude owes a lot to Immanuel Kant’s dismissal of the speculative in favor of the practical.

I recommend Josef Pieper’s Leisure: The Basis of Culture as an antidote to the excessive utilitarianism of our age. http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Basis-Culture-Josef-Pieper/dp/0865972109

Posted by Brian Niemeier
  14. January 7, 2014 @ 8:04 am

[…] one of the best writing podcasts out there. If you aren’t listening to it yet, start with this one, which is chock full of shameless excuses all lazy writers use (myself […]

15. January 8, 2014 @ 5:16 am

This podcast cuts out at Mary saying, “There’s a website, uh, called…”

Great episode, despite the abrupt end, and timely for the start of the year. It’s almost 21 writing resolutions to make.

Posted by Chella
  16. January 16, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

My brother and I have our own projects that we’re working on. But, sometimes you just need a break from what you’re doing. We have a joint project that we correspond back and forth contributing to. Sometimes it’s only a paragraph and we don’t spend longer than half an hour on each entry, but it’s a great way of keeping the creativity flowing and it’s fun trying to react to an external source that you have no control over. I must admit there are times when I’m more excited over the joint project than my own which i suppose is a problem in itself :)

Posted by Jack
  17. February 20, 2014 @ 8:49 am

The best one mentioned was “Thinking you have time to write later.” I think that one really is one that is the biggest in my life. Thanks for bringing this out.

Posted by Levi
  18. February 20, 2014 @ 8:54 am

Mary mentioned something (a web-site) that you were going to put in the liner notes. I was wondering if that was on its way. Thank you.

Posted by Levi