By Mary Robinette Kowal | September 3, 2013 - 9:51 pm - Posted in News & Reviews, Site News
WX Hugo win photo by Andrew Williams

(photo by Andrew Williams)

Thank you. All of you for voting for the podcast in the Best Related Work. Without you, none of us would be holding rockets in this photo. Your questions inspire us, your comments make us think, and talking to you makes our fiction better as we unpack what it is that we do. So thank you, thank you, and thank you.

UPDATE: During the awards ceremony we were unable to call out by name the guests who helped make this season of Writing Excuses so wonderful. We will now rectify that:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to the following guests, without whose candor and expertise we would all be much poorer. We have listed them here in order of appearance during the season.

• Sam Sykes
  • Monte Cook
  • Shanna Germain
  • Maurice Broaddus
  • Janci Patterson
  • James L Sutter
  • Jim Zub

We only record guests when we can all be in the same place at the same time, which is usually at a convention. That means these people took time out of an already busy convention schedule to participate with us. Thank you again, guests. We wish you could have stood with us on the stage.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013 at 9:51 pm and is filed under News & Reviews, Site News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. September 3, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

Congrats, guys! Definitely well deserved, but there are two things I think are wrong with this picture:

1) Dan wasn’t there to claim his.

2) Howard should be holding two of those.

Posted by Ahmed
  2. September 4, 2013 @ 1:31 am

[Interviewer, looking at the picture] So that’s how big they are?
    [Howard] 15 minutes long,
    [Mary] Because we won a Hugo,
    [Brandon] And we’re real happy!

Congrats!

Posted by 'nother Mike
  3. September 4, 2013 @ 1:57 am

We love you guys. Congratulations.

Posted by Caleb
  4. September 4, 2013 @ 2:02 am

Poor Dan, he is going to be SOOOO jealous he wasn’t there.
    Aside from that, CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!!!
    Way to go! You certainly deserved it.

Posted by WEKM
  5. September 4, 2013 @ 2:37 am

I have nothing further to add to the above comments. Confratulations!

Posted by Rashkavar
  6. September 4, 2013 @ 2:39 am

Excepting that perhaps I should not be typing at nearly 2 am. Congratulations!

There is no ‘f’ in that word.

Posted by Rashkavar
  7. September 4, 2013 @ 5:46 am

Oooh! Congratulations! Well deserved!

Posted by Robin Burgess
  8. September 4, 2013 @ 6:05 am

I’m so excited for you guys. I initially thought Brandon’s tweet on this was a joke because I honestly didn’t realize you could win a Hugo for something other than a written piece, but it makes SO much sense. I’m always recommending this podcast to people I know who are working to become writers. It’s a truly invaluable and very entertaining resource. (particularly when Mary makes screeching noises… lol)

Congrats again, guys! I’m so excited to see your work recognized.

(Oh yes, and congrats to Brandon for his Hugo as well!) -grin-

Very well deserved!

Congratulations!
    :D

Posted by Ben Lowe
  12. September 4, 2013 @ 7:46 am

Congratulations guys!
    Absolutely, 100% well deserved. Love listening to you every week. Keep up the fantastic work.

Posted by Sandy
  13. September 4, 2013 @ 8:11 am

New follower. Congratulations. Looking forward to more posts. Have a blessed day!

Posted by Vicki M. Taylor
  14. September 4, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Congratulations! Very much.

15. September 4, 2013 @ 10:04 am

the only thing wrong with that picture is that Howard isn’t holding two of those things…

Posted by Ahmed
  16. September 4, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I agree with everyone else but…. I think you owe us an extra podcast ;)

Posted by J. Wencl
  17. September 4, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

Congratulations! I cant think of a group of individuals who would more deserve such an outstanding award. I started listening to the podcast a little over a year and a half ago, and it has quickly become one of the highlights to my week. Whenever I need writing advice you all provide, or when I’m feeling down the banter and jokes you all share cheer me up. I wish you all well as you celebrate, and I think many would agree that you all deserve the recognition. Hopefully you all hold another Writing Excuses retreat after the success of the first one! Looking forward to it. Have a great day!

Respectfully submitted,

Matt T.

Posted by Matthew T
  18. September 4, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

Woo! You deserve it, great podcasts. I’m sure Mary has the rocket-shelf ready in her house…

Posted by Elaine J
  19. September 4, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Been listening to you guys since early season 2 and am extremely pleased that the podcast has won the Hugo for Best Related works. Well deserved!!!

Posted by Dale Ivan Smith
  20. September 4, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

@ Matt T.
    Wow, a great summarization of what I mean when I geek out and say, “You guys are so awesome!” *lol* (Do you read minds?)

@ Ahmed
    You have it exactly right except for one thing. Dan AND Producer Jordo weren’t there.

@ Brandon, Dan, Howard, Jordan, & Mary
    Is it too much to say, “Grats!” again? Either way, enjoy your rockets. :)

Posted by Peggy Allred :)
  21. September 4, 2013 @ 11:00 pm

Congrats Writing Excuses for winning the Hugo! Well deserved award! You have made such a difference in my writing.

Posted by Callie
  22. September 5, 2013 @ 1:33 am

Congratulations!

Posted by Umm Maryam
  23. September 5, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

Congratulations everyone!

Posted by Friendly Frank
  24. September 5, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

A big congrast to you folks. A friend turned me on to your pod casts a few months ago and now I’m hooked. Incredibly informative. Well deserved award.

Posted by John B
  25. September 5, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

That’s great you guys. Truly.

Posted by Jo
  26. September 7, 2013 @ 10:34 am

Wonderful! Not only do I listen, but my daughter listens too. We love y’all. Congratulations!

Posted by Darice Moore
  27. September 8, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

[…] Darice Moore on Writing Excuses won the Hugo for Best Related Work! […]

28. September 9, 2013 @ 12:15 pm

Congratulations! Well deserved. You have all been inspirational and helpful to so many writers.

Posted by JD
  29. September 9, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

Congratulations to all five of you! Truly deserved!

I heard about Writing Excuses just after I started writing my first novel. While I worked on it, I got myself caught up on your archive of episodes. I listened to the last of the archived episodes about a week ago. And then yesterday, I finished the first draft of my novel.

Thanks so much, folks! I couldn’t have done it without your help.

Posted by Dan (Not Wells)
  30. September 10, 2013 @ 10:14 am

I’m new here, but can see why you won, already! Congratulations!

I loved this episode, and the Anne McCaffrey talk really got me going! I absolutely LOVED those books, for the very reasons you describe. What a great way to build a world and keep it lively; through an overlapping group of characters who take turns sharing the stories.

I loved reading Anne McCaffrey, but didn’t fully understand why until hearing this episode.

Roland

Posted by Roland Denzel
  31. September 13, 2013 @ 8:10 am

Congratulations! I’ve been listening to you since season 1 and have been so grateful that I found you!

Posted by Kristy
  32. September 13, 2013 @ 10:18 am

Congratulations!

Mary: Lovely gown. Very pretty in pink. With your coloring, you’d be smashing in sea foam green.

Posted by Coppertoe
  33. September 13, 2013 @ 11:28 pm

Congratulations guys. Well deserved.

Posted by Jeff Whitaker
  34. November 30, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

Well deserved for all of you!

I am glad to see all of you had your hard work recognized. Sharing your insights and wisdom is a gift to all of your listeners.

Posted by Tom
  35. January 23, 2014 @ 10:11 pm

[…] of my favorite resources is the Writing Excuses podcast, which won a Hugo for Best Related work this year.  I’ve been listening to this weekly, 15 minute podcast since season 1 of 9 and I learn […]