By Mary Robinette Kowal | February 16, 2013 - 9:32 am - Posted in Site News

It’s been a long few months of writing, applying, and nervously waiting, but the time has come. We have carefully reviewed your applications—all 73 of them—and painstakingly narrowed the field to a few exceptional finalists. Of those we have chosen one winner, whom we notified yesterday, and now that she has accepted it our great pleasure to announce that the 2013 “That’s a Pretty Good Excuse” scholarship goes to Alissa Leonard.

The quality of the applications was higher than we expected, all across the board, but not only did Alissa win the most votes, she won ALL the votes: the four podcasters and our mystery sponsor picked her application unanimously. She will receive full tuition to the 2013 Writing Excuses retreat, a free room in the nearby hotel, and up to $500 for airfare to get her there. Her writing samples show a lot of promise, and we hope this retreat helps her hone her skills to an even higher level.

Those of you who didn’t win, we still love you! You are amazing writers and amazing people, and we hope you continue working hard on your dreams. Keep writing, and make sure to say hi if we ever see you at another convention or conference.

To Alissa and the other retreat attendees, we’ll see you in June!

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 16th, 2013 at 9:32 am and is filed under Site News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. February 16, 2013 @ 9:49 am

Congratulations Alissa!

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  2. February 16, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Congratulations, Alissa! You’re out of excuses and can go write.

Posted by Kim Mainord
  3. February 16, 2013 @ 10:19 am

Grats, Alissa, sounds like you really deserved it!

Posted by D Kamar
  4. February 16, 2013 @ 10:49 am

Congratulations!!! Well-deserved and fabulous.

Posted by Rebekah Postupak
  5. February 16, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

Congratulations, Alissa ! We know you’ll make the best use of the retreat!

Posted by Michael J Winegar
  6. February 16, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

I agree with all the above! Congratulations!!

Posted by Lauren
  7. February 16, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

Congrats Alissa!!!

Posted by Nick Enlowe
  8. February 16, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

What awesome news! You go, girl! From Dad George.

Posted by George L. Leonard
  9. February 16, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

Yep! Hella gratz. As much as I had wanted it, I knew I’m still ‘Too young’ as a writer to have the skills to compete lol. I hope you learn a lot and put everything to good use!

Posted by Travis Sullivan
  10. February 16, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

Congratulations Alissa!
    I hope you enjoy the experience!

Posted by Ben Lowe
  11. February 16, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

Congratulations Alissa! I’m glad a Leonard won, even if I don’t know you! I wanted it bad too, but after re-reading my submission, I knew I wasn’t going to get it.

Have fun and make the very most of this opportunity! I’m sure it is well deserved :)

Posted by Sean Leonard
  12. February 16, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Congratulations Alissa! :)

Posted by Patrick
  13. February 17, 2013 @ 12:22 am

Congrats! See you in June!

Posted by Eric Elam
  14. February 17, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Congratulations! It seems like all the stuff revolving around the retreat is going very well, which hopefully means they’ll do it again.

Posted by Yakov