By Howard Tayler | January 8, 2013 - 4:16 pm - Posted in Site News, Submitting

Last year we announced the first ever Writing Excuses Retreat, and an awesome scholarship to go along with it. We’ve never done an event like this before, but we feel pretty good about it, and we think it will be a big help to a lot of writers, and we don’t want that group to be limited by money. If you’re a good writer, eager to become better, but can’t quite afford a week-long conference, we want to give you our scholarship. But there’s only one week left.

The scholarship application deadline is January 15–just a few days away. If you were thinking about applying but never got around to it, there’s still time! If this is the first you’ve heard of it, jump in and go for it! The application process is involved, because we want to make sure this goes to the right person, but we really think it’s worth it. Read all the application info here (http://www.writingexcuses.com/2012/11/05/the-out-of-excuses-writing-retreat-and-the-thats-a-pretty-good-excuse-scholarship/), follow those instructions exactly*, and let’s make this happen.

Good luck!

(*Note: Seriously, follow the instructions exactly. We winnow applicants the way publishers winnow slush…)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 8th, 2013 at 4:16 pm and is filed under Site News, Submitting. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. January 9, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

Do our recommenders have to also meet the Jan. 15th deadline or is there some wiggle room for them? I’m asking because I am coming to the game a little late — eeep!

Posted by BMobs
  2. January 9, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Good luck all!

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  3. January 10, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

Yes, your recommenders also have to meet the January 15th deadline. Sorry, we need all the material on hand in order to make our decisions.

4. January 11, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Out of curiosity, who will be involved in decided which applications are considered? Andwhat’s the process like? Do you widdle down the number of applications until the podcasters make a decision on a final few?

Posted by Nathan
  5. January 11, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

Do the sample pieces need to be from all different works? Or can they be different segments of a book we’re working on, say from various characters’ perspectives?

Posted by Courtney
  6. January 14, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Will you hold this retreat next year? I’d love to attend. :-)

Posted by Gabriel Rumbaut
  7. January 14, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

@Courtney

It says 1-3 separate pieces. So, whether you count them as 1 piece (since they are from the same book) or 3 pieces (since they are from different places in the book) I’m pretty sure if you’re in the clear. Good Luck!

Posted by Sean
  8. February 15, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I doubt I was chosen, but the suspense is killing me ! It’s 2/15/13 already. Aggghhhh.

Posted by Patrick Hayes
  9. February 15, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

I’m with Patrick. I have been checking the website every hour since I woke up. What time will the announcement be made?

Posted by Audrey
  10. February 15, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

I saw on everyone’s personal websites that most of the Writing Excuses members are away at conferences this weekend.
    I wonder if they’ll have enough time to declare the winner today?

The suspense is killing me, too!

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  11. February 15, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

Maybe as a boon to self confidence for the privileged few’s self esteem, you guys could list your top five or ten considerations along with the winner?

Posted by John
  12. February 15, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I get the feeling that the winner has already been contacted. Maybe they sent him/her an email and dont want to make the announcement until he/she has responded.

Posted by Collin Simonsen
  13. February 15, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

I like John’s suggestion :)

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  14. February 15, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

We should have said, “alert the recipient” instead of announce. We’ll announce as soon as we have confirmation that the recipient accepts.

15. February 15, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Well, darn! That counts me out. Congrats to the recipient! Hope he or she finds out soon!

Posted by Ashley Waldron
  16. February 15, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

Mary,

Thanks for the clarification. And thanks for the contest. It helped me be motivated to put together a final piece and hone my skills. I hope you do the writing retreat next year! Thanks for all you and the others do.

Posted by Collin Simonsen