By Writing Excuses | October 28, 2012 - 6:25 pm - Posted in Editing, Guest, Live, Season 7

Jim Zub joins us in front of a live audience at GenCon Indy to talk to us about writing for comics. He’s the writer and creator of Skullkickers, writes the newly-launched Pathfinder comic book for Paizo, and has been writing, illustrating, and managing projects at Udon for the better part of a decade now. Jim is an expert’s expert when it comes to this.

He starts by talking about the overall process, and how his original script fits in there. Jim and Howard then talk about brevity. Jim also points us at his five-part series on writing for comics (so yes, you have homework.) We talk about the writer-artist collaborative process, and how those collaborations change shape over time.

Jim also schools us on comics pacing, and how page-turns drive the comic forward differently than they do in prose. Finally, he talks about how to get into the business he’s in.

Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: Swords and Deviltry: The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, by Fritz Lieber, narrated by Jonathan Davis and Neil Gaiman

Writing Prompt: Introduce a place without using dialog. Describe five panels for an artist to draw, so that the reader has been introduced to the location.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 28th, 2012 at 6:25 pm and is filed under Editing, Guest, Live, Season 7. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. October 28, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

That was very interesting, I do a lot of comics myself (nothing professional… yet), but since I do 100% of both the art and the writing it feels very foreign to me to do just one or the other.

Posted by Nathan M
  2. October 29, 2012 @ 5:11 am

[...] of the Day: Writing Excuses 7.44: Writing for Comics [...]

3. October 29, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Interesting, though I bet the vast majority of the listeners write prose. That would explain the dearth of comments on non-prose related episodes.

The other possibility is that Dan is why most people listen, and when he’s away nobody cares.

Posted by Duke
  4. October 30, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Nice episode, and I also enjoyed Jim’s series of articles on his writing process. I love comics — reading, writing, and drawing — but there aren’t nearly as many resources out there that address the medium’s unique needs and challenges. Most of the time I can adapt principles from prose or screenwriting, but it’s nice to have specific advice straight from an experienced professional.

Posted by Sam
  5. October 30, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Thank you also to Howard, Brandon and Mary for having me on the podcast.

If you have any other questions about comic writing, pitching comic stories or breaking in, feel free to contact me through my website or tweet me via @jimzub and I’ll answer as best I can.

Posted by Jim Zub
  6. October 30, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

I looked at some of your blog posts, Jim, and have to say I liked what I saw. I recommend others go check them out. He’s got good advice on contracts, collaborations, and other stuff that isn’t just for comic artists but for any creative person trying to make a profession out of it. Thank you for being on the show.

Posted by Talmage
  7. November 1, 2012 @ 2:01 am

And the punchline of the story is…

(turn the page!)

Well, here’s a transcript, for those who prefer their podcasts in textual format. I’m not sure who’s going to do the animated version, but I’ll bet they’ll put pants on Howard :-)

Incidentally, Dynamite Comics has a free Halloween short story right over here (I found it while checking names)

Some of you may enjoy it, I think.

8. November 5, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

I have a question for Howard, if he happens to see this. A lot of the stuff Jim talked about was the interaction between him as writer and the artists and the way it affected the creation of his scripts. Since you do your own art, do you need to do the elaborate descriptive stuff in your scripts as he described? How does your own process differ?

Posted by Sam
  9. November 7, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

really, really great show this week – eloquent guest, who managed to give a lot of information in a short time.

I love comics and would like to write one at some point. I will definitely be bookmarking Jim’s blog.

Thanks W.E.