By Mary Robinette Kowal | October 1, 2012 - 1:00 am - Posted in Bonus, Education, Site News

For the first time, the Writing Excuses team is hosting a workshop and retreat for our listeners. This week long event gives you one on one time with the hosts, Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Mary Robinette Kowal, and Howard Tayler.

Registration is currently sold out. Please scroll down for information about the waiting list.

WHAT’S INCLUDED?

The week kicks off with three full days of intensive workshops taught by the WX hosts. All on-campus meals are included during the week.

WX will also be recording sessions while there, so you will get an opportunity to shape episodes by the questions you ask. Plus you get to watch the team record live.

Starting on Wednesday evening, the remainder of the week is time for you to put what you learned to good use, and write. You’re out of excuses…

LOCATION

Woodthrush WoodsThis event is being held at Woodthrush Woods in Chattanooga, TN. Set on thirteen wooded acres, Mary Robinette Kowal’s grandfather built this house on the old family farm. There are two houses on the rustic property, the main house, Woodhrush Woods itself and the log house, Robin’s Roost. Walking paths allow you to explore the grounds, wade in the creek, or just sit in the rocking chairs on the front porch. Mary’s grandfather was an electrician so there are outlets everywhere and wifi throughout both houses.

That’s right, you can write outside in the pergola with an outlet and wifi.

Because Mary’s grandparents built their home to entertain and hold folk dances, the spacious rooms provide plenty of places to write in a group or find a private space.

Workshops will be held in the sunroom at Robin’s Roost.

Meals on-campus are part of your registration. This includes a continental breakfast served in both houses, lunches at Robin’s Roost, and dinners at Woodthrush Woods.

Please note: This is a private residence built in the first half of the 1900s, and not wheelchair accessible. There are steps and raised thresholds everywhere.

(Since this is a private residence, the exact address will only be given to attendees.)

HOUSING OPTIONS

A limited number of rooms are available “on campus” for a full immersion experience. Prices for those include registration, meals, and the room. Please read the descriptions carefully as there are rooms in both Woodthrush Woods and Robin’s Roost.

We have also arranged for a block of rooms at a nearby Best Western, which is an easy quarter mile walk to Woodthrush. Total cost for a room in the Best Western block is $492.38. This is in addition to the registration fee. If this is your chosen housing option, register with basic attendance registration and further instructions will be sent to you.

BONUS CONTENT

In addition to the workshops, which are included in registration, attendees also have the option to sign up for breakout sessions with individual instructors. The breakout sessions allow more concentrated time in a smaller class size, or one-on-one. Each participant may sign up for one breakout. Those sessions are:

Brandon Sanderson: Blue Pencil Session

This is 15 minute one-on-one editing session. Bring the first five pages of a manuscript and get immediate feedback on your writing from a best-selling author. You can set the focus, whether it is plot, style, or general advice.

Dan Wells: 8-person Outlining Session

Each person must come prepared with a story idea, including an ending, and Dan will help turn it into a working outline ready for you to start writing.

Mary Robinette Kowal: Critique group

An 8 member critique group. Members will submit short stories up to 7500 words for critique by the group as well as Mary. (Please note that this means you are committing to critique the stories of the other group members.)

Howard Tayler: Blurb in 15 Minutes

Sit down with Howard and get your blurb on. In this short, tightly-focused session Howard will work with you on crafting a fifty- to one-hundred word blurb designed to turn browsers and window-shoppers into buyers.

Registration has sold out, but there is a waiting list available. If a spot opens up, you will be notified by email in the order in which your name is on the list. You will have 24 hours to respond once a spot opens.

REFUND POLICY

We will offer a full refund if there is someone to take your slot. (You may also transfer it to someone else if you wish.)

If not then:

• Full refund until January 1st
  • 75% refund until March 1st
  • 50% refund until May 1st
  • No refunds after May 1st

If you’ve got additional questions or concerns, please email retreat@writingexcuses.com, and we’ll answer your question just as soon as we can.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 1st, 2012 at 1:00 am and is filed under Bonus, Education, Site News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. October 1, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Three days of workshops? Guess we’re not in that much of a hurry. ;)

Exciting news! Definitely will be signing up if it doesn’t insta-sell-out.

Posted by Sean
  2. October 1, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Oh wow. I want to go just because I think that’s one of the most beautiful homes I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunately I’ll have just had my first child and won’t have the vacation days to spend. Best of luck to the hosts and the attendees.

Posted by Joe Zieja
  3. October 1, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Hi. This sounds very awesome. Is it open to people outside the United States?

Cheers,

David

Posted by David Lein
  4. October 1, 2012 @ 7:57 am

Advanced congratulations then, Joe. I think I’ll try to wrangle a few days of leave and see if I can squeeze in some time.

Posted by Patrick
  5. October 1, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Sandra and I have both enjoyed writers’ retreats at Woodthrush Woods. It’s delightful, and if you need to do some “out of the box” thinking, it’s a fantastic option.

The weird part is walking into a room full of people, sitting down within arm’s length of a good friend, and saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because everyone is writing. It feels rude at first, but after a day or two you realize that different rules apply.

I’m really looking forward to this event, both the workshops and the retreat itself.

6. October 1, 2012 @ 8:18 am

Wow, I’m having such a conflicted fanboi moment. I want be sitting up at 12am making sure I get the best room, but I know I can’t possibly afford it this year. Hopefully this will continue in future years so I can participate! Great idea, guys.

Posted by Terrell Sanders
  7. October 1, 2012 @ 8:40 am

@David Lein: I don’t see why it wouldn’t be, provided you can be IN the United States (specifically, in Chattanooga, Tennessee) for the event. There might be hiccups in the registration system depending on your mode of payment. We’ll have to look into that.

8. October 1, 2012 @ 9:20 am

This sounds amazing. Would almost be tempted if I wasn’t already doing Superstars of Writing in Denver in 2013. I expect it to sell out quickly though.

Are you guys going to record the workshop portions and sell those as well?

Posted by Patrick Sullivan
  9. October 1, 2012 @ 9:52 am

+Patrick Sullivan: We’re currently planning on recording episodes, which will be shaped by the discussions, but I don’t think we’ll record the workshops at this first one.

10. October 1, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Are slots opened according to the waitlist or will it be first-come first-serve on the registration day? I put my name on the waitlist but didn’t receive a confirmation email. Is that normal?

Posted by Jeff Whitaker
  11. October 1, 2012 @ 10:57 am

[…] I recently blogged on my discovery of and addiction to the Writing Excuses podcast.  Well, this morning I discovered that the fine folks at Writing Excuses (specifically Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Taylor, and Dan Wells) are conducting a one-week writing workshop/retreat called “Out of Excuses“. […]

12. October 1, 2012 @ 11:43 am

Is the money due up front?

Posted by Gabriel
  13. October 1, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

Oh man, I was planning to go to DragonCon or WorldFantasy this year, but forget that. I’d much rather use my vacation time for this.

Posted by Mark Smith
  14. October 1, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

@Jeff Whitaker: It will be first-come-first serve on registration day.

The Waiting List button was not supposed to show up until after registration opened and then sold out. You and one other person wound up on the list before we noticed. You were about to get an email from me with apologies. And we got it fixed.

@Gabriel: Yes, money is due upon registration but it is refundable if Life intervenes. That does make me realize that we need to clarify that. I’ll get back to you with the formal policy.

15. October 1, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Ah man, this is when being a broke art student with loans bites you in the rear end. I can get there but just can’t afford it. I think Patrick Sullivan touched on this but is there anyway you guys can post this on the web? Like a live youtube or podcast so viewers can add to discussion or something? Or is it just going to be thrown in Writing Excuses? Just a thought. Anyway, sounds like a great opportunity.

Posted by Austin Charles
  16. October 1, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

This sounds awesome, but my wife and I are expecting our first born in April of next year. Hopefully this is a resounding success and becomes a yearly event.

Posted by Jason Luu
  17. October 1, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Question about room occupancy. The rooms that can fit two people – is it required that they are shared? How does sharing affect the registration cost? Just want to clarify everything before the 15th rolls around. This looks amazing! Thanks.

Posted by Emily
  18. October 1, 2012 @ 6:09 pm

@Emily:

Regarding room occupancy: It is not required that they be shared. The prices are for single occupancy. If you want to have a roommate, then one of you signs up for the room — which includes registration — and the other signs up for a basic membership. The two of you can then split the difference in the room rate. My suggestion would be that one person does both registrations at the same time.

(The room rates all start with the base price of a basic membership, so just subtract $500 to see what the room cost is if you want to split a room.)

Along those lines, it is important to note that going above the maximum occupancy listed for a room is not okay. In other words no sleeping bags and air mattresses.

19. October 1, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

Hi Mary. I was looking at the Hersel’s Room and it says that it has a private bath. Does that me a fully equipped bathroom with tub/shower?

Cheers,

David

Posted by David Lein
  20. October 1, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

@David: Hersel’s Room is toilet, sink, and shower. No tub, alas.

Also, I should note that the full bed is narrower than a double-bed, so it’s really only comfortable for one person or a very cozy couple. There’s also a trundle mattress under the bed that you can put two more people on.

21. October 2, 2012 @ 12:49 am

Hello everyone. I have recently come into an abundance of time after my contract expired, and have the lump income I got from that endeavor. This is to say, there is no reason for me not to do this.
    I have have no new stories because of what I stated earlier, and will be coming in with a pretty blank slate, but I think it could be just the thing to get a jump start a fresh idea. Is it assumed that attendees come in to this with a pretty developed, concrete idea to start with, or is there any negative if one does this?

And speaking of negatives, would smoking outside on the premises be allowed? Obviously no one would be so rude as to do it inside.

Posted by Jack
  22. October 2, 2012 @ 2:38 am

What’s the bathroom situation look like for the rooms without the attached bath…. Also, is Howard required to be wearing pants at all times? ;)

Posted by Nick
  23. October 2, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Bathrooms: There are 4 full baths in Woodthrush Woods, and 1 in Robin’s Roost.

@Jack: No. You do not need to come in with a developed concrete idea. You could start something new, though clearly signing up for one of the critique sessions would not be useful without a finished story. On the flip side, while the emphasis of the week is definitely on writing, if someone had editing that the needed time and space to focus on, this is also a good environment for that.

Smoking: I’m checking with my parents.

24. October 2, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Smoking: There is no smoking allowed.

25. October 2, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

I WILL HAVE PANTS ON AT ALL TIMES as far as anybody else will be able to tell.

26. October 2, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

All good, would do a writer good to walk to the street if they want to smoke.

Posted by jack
  27. October 2, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

I was wondering if this retreat would focus on short stories or would it also be helpful for we novelists?

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  28. October 3, 2012 @ 4:13 am

The retreat will be just as helpful for long-form writers as short-form.

Posted by Dan Wells
  29. October 3, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

Unless I’m simply outbid, I will be at this retreat. Would it be a good idea for us to bring along a small printer in our luggage with our laptops? Also, will you want us to submit samples of our writing before we show up?

— david j.

Posted by David A. Jones
  30. October 3, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Maybe I’m missing it, but what exactly is included in “three full days of intensive workshops”?

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  31. October 3, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

oh wow, this is an amazing offer. when i clicked on it, i expected it to be at least a plane ticket away. imagine my surprise that it is only an hour away and in a town where i have people to stay with. alas, then i realized i’m a college student. student discounts??

Posted by Joseph
  32. October 3, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

couldn’t have announced it earlier? :( no way i can have an extra $500 in time for registration. i guess there is next year???? ;) …well, next, next year??? -.-

Posted by nate
  33. October 3, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Aw, man. I’m finally first (or second) for something and it doesn’t count. Guess I got a little excited. I’ll be exercising my clicky finger until the 15th :)

Posted by Jeff Whitaker
  34. October 3, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

I am a broke bloke, but this sounds awesome, extremely helpful, and a breath of fresh air (literally… I guess). If there is anyone out there who can’t make it and wants to live through osmosis or would like to sponsor somebody for the retreat, look no further. I will gladly wear a shirt with a picture of you on ALL days there. hahahaha ;)

Have fun on the retreat everybody! The place looks inspiring.

Posted by Sean
  35. October 4, 2012 @ 10:49 am

I am staring at this in envy. I’d love to do it — sadly, I don’t have the money (the joys of just graduating college!), but I’m envious of anyone who has the opportunity to go! If it’s successful, maybe organize a more in the future?

Posted by Ashley
  36. October 4, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Thank you for doing something like this. I think whoever attends will greatly benefit.

Are you going to be running this regularly if the first one is successful? I’d love to go, but I can’t afford it at the moment. If I knew this was going to happen a long way out I’d definitely put some money away so that I could attend.

Posted by Bradford Y.
  37. October 4, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Repeat events would probably depend on the level of participation and the state of Mary’s grandparent’s house afterwards. So to those who are lucky enough to be going, be on your best behavior!

Posted by Patrick
  38. October 4, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Wow. I am so excited about this. What a dream team at a fabulous location! I am really looking forward to registering and I hope I can be one of the lucky ones that gets a spot! Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting this together. Now, let’s keep it as quiet as possible until my registration is in on Oct 15 at 12:01. :)

Posted by Sita
  39. October 4, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

May I suggest a scholarship spot for this or the next retreat? Say, the winner of a diabolical writing prompt contest? I am a young mom, just bought a house, but something like this would be SUCH a blessing!

Just a thought. :)

Posted by Becca Lee G.
  40. October 4, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

I promise that if I get in I will do my best not to go all fanboy on you guys :) And since I live in Nashville, this is very close!! This is so exciting!

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  41. October 4, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

I’m so bummed this isn’t in or near Utah … it’s beyond my price range. :(

Great idea, though!

Posted by Allandre
  42. October 5, 2012 @ 8:40 am

How long of a drive is the house from Harrison, TN? (Just outside Chatt)

Posted by Michael J Winegar
  43. October 5, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Great idea Becca :)

Posted by Sean
  44. October 5, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Looks like Harrison is about fifteen minutes from the house.

Jesse: Three days of intensive workshops means that we’ll be working with you for about eight hours a day. We’re still setting the schedule. Basically, think of our episodes and then figure that we’re not in a hurry and can get really in depth into things.

45. October 5, 2012 @ 11:34 am

Mary: that sounds awesome! I’m often disappointed at the end of each 15 minute episode because I always want you to go more in-depth. And now I will have that opportunity :)
    Still, you all should write a Writing Excuses book on writing for everyone who cannot make it :P (You could call it No Excuses Writing)

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  46. October 5, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

AHHH!!! I live two hours from Chattanooga but less than two weeks is too short of time to try to come up with $500…I would totally go if I had known a month or two in advance.

Posted by Manny
  47. October 5, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

This sounds amazing. It’s too bad I live so far away. It would be so cool if Writing Excuses does this again maybe a little closer to home. Also, more notice would be nice. That’s a lot of money in a short amount of time.

Posted by Jared
  48. October 5, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

I’m actually very interested in possibly trying to get into this workshop- I’m just not sure what exactly is going to be going on. It says that the first three days are workshops taught by you guys which would be Mon-Wed. But then it says that you start writing on Tuesday…does that mean that writing sessions are part of the workshops? Or is that a typo? When will the bonus content workshops take place? And are the recordings of WX going to be part of the three days of workshops or are those on different days? More info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by Manny
  49. October 5, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

To verify, the $500 for general admission is due up front at the time of registration?

If that’s the case, for any of the other housing options, is the listed price due up front as well (for ex. will the $1,200 for Hershel’s Room be due up front)?

Posted by John
  50. October 6, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

Heard from the higher ups from work on thursday and am not able to go. I work in a school library and was not granted the time off. Really bummed out as this would have been such a great adventure as I hardly get to travel. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it goes well and if you are considering a second one in 2014, may I please recommend the last week of June, or anytime during the summer.

Happy holiday long weekend (It’s Thanksgiving in Canada…not sure what it is in the USA)

Cheers,

David

Posted by David Lein
  51. October 7, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

got everything lined up to go! I just hope i can register before all the seats are gone. is there any type of expectation of skill for this? as a young writer in college working on my first project, I’ve got no shame in admitting that I’m kind of intimidated by this.

Posted by Joseph
  52. October 8, 2012 @ 2:17 am

That looks awesome! I predict it’ll sell out faster than Session 1 of the Rainforest Writers Retreat. =)

The retreat is a week after my birthday, so I am seriously thinking about justifying the expense as my birthday present to myself.

Posted by Andrew
  53. October 8, 2012 @ 7:42 am

Since you’ll be covering topics from writing excuses episodes (but in more depth) as was mentioned by Mary, will there be value for those of us who have been listening, since um, … the middle of Season One?

I would very much love to fly over from Austria to attend the workshop, but I’m slightly hesitant because I’m not sure if this workshop will be geared towards new, intermediate, or advanced listeners/writers. (I myself firmly fall in the middle.)

If this year’s a success and you decide to do it again, perhaps you could do a couple of workshops, one geared toward the beginner and the other geared toward more advanced writing topics?

Thanks for your thoughts and clarification.

Posted by Melissa
  54. October 9, 2012 @ 8:20 am

@Melissa (and others), regarding content:

You’ve raised a great point, which is that we really ought to have provided a syllabus of some sort up front. All four of us are seasoned presenters, accustomed to working in 60, 90, and 120-minute formats, but unless you’ve seen us at symposiums, conferences, or conventions you have no way of knowing that.

We’re working on a rough outline of the syllabus right now. There are topics we want to cover individually, which we never get to explore in depth on the ‘cast, and we’re hammering a list together so you’ll know what those core topics are.

We are also building a much longer list of topics we can cover based on the needs and desires of the attendees at the retreat. If there’s limited interest in my punchline workshop, for instance, we can drop it in favor of worldbuilding dynamic political conflicts. Or, you know, vice-versa. I can talk about both.

Long-time and brand-new listeners alike will find that we have plenty to say which we haven’t said before, but we’ll get a syllabus up soon so you can see what we’re planning.

55. October 9, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Thanks so much Howard for your quick response! :)

Best,
    M

Posted by Melissa
  56. October 9, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

Just a question on format – It states that the first three days of the seminar cover intensive workshops and the last three is dedicated to us putting what we’ve learned into practice.

My question is if there is any specific structure to the last three days? I only ask because I would probably need to leave early on Sunday in order to avoid using any more of my vacation time, and I wanted to know if I would be missing any specific structured activities.

Posted by Jason Luu
  57. October 10, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

REFUND POLICY

We will offer a full refund if there is someone to take your slot. (You may also transfer it to someone else if you wish.)

If not then:
    Full refund until January 1st
    75% refund until March 1st
    50% refund until May 1st
    No refunds after May 1st

58. October 10, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

@Jason Luu The last three days are unstructured with optional activities such as writing sprints, writing prompts, and listening to us record episodes. Or play croquet.

Because there are two houses on the property, we designate a “no talking” area for people who just want to tuck their heads down and write. But if someone wants to socialize, there are places for that, too.

In other words, leaving early on Sunday won’t be a problem.

59. October 12, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

My husband and I want to sign up and come together. Can we buy two registrations in the same transaction? We’re hoping to snag one of the on-site rooms so would it work to buy that plus a basic membership?

Posted by Kate
  60. October 13, 2012 @ 11:24 am

Work is going to kill me for taking another week off only a month after Superstars, but fudge-em. This just sounds too good to pass up. I’m hoping to score a room in that beautiful house, but if I can’t, I’ll be fine just huffing it from the hotel everyday to Robin’s Roost. I’m psyched!

Posted by Nick
  61. October 13, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

Have you considered taking this on the road?

Posted by Servius
  62. October 14, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

This sounds like an amazing opportunity! I was just curious, as I don’t think it was addressed again, but when registering, is it possible to put some money down for a spot, or is it the whole thing up front?

Thank you so much!

Posted by Martin Cahill
  63. October 14, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

@Martin: It’s all due up-front this time. The system we’re using doesn’t support pay-in-installment options. We’ll definitely look into this for next time.

@Servius: We did consider that. Event space is expensive, and Woodthrush Woods is simply the finest retreat space available to us at a reasonable rate. We want this to be a retreat, not just another trip to a hotel where everybody stays in conference rooms all day.

Oh, and I live in Utah. Chatanooga IS “on the road” for me.

64. October 14, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

@Kate: Yes, you should be able to do two reservations simultaneously.

Register for the room, then add a basic membership for your husband.

65. October 14, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

@Martin Cahill: You are correct. There are no deposits however, our refund policy should allow you to back out if something else comes up.

66. October 15, 2012 @ 2:46 am

Google says Knoxville is the closest airport. Google does not say if there are shuttles/busses etc. from Knoxville to Chattanooga. For those of us flying in to Knoxville, what would be the easiest way to Chattanooga? Would a car rental be required?

Posted by Wendy
  67. October 15, 2012 @ 4:31 am

Hi Wendy. The Cattanooga airport shows up as an option if you fly American Airlines. The Airport code is CHA.

Cheers,

David

Posted by David Lein
  68. October 15, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Chattanooga is a nice little airport. If you find cheaper transportation through Nashville, Groome Transportation shuttles between Nashville and Chatty.

Posted by Crystal Bryant
  69. October 15, 2012 @ 7:48 am

There’s also a shuttle service between Atlanta and Chattanooga. Flying direct to Atlanta and then shuttling in to Chattanooga is often the most cost-effective option. The bus ride is around two and a half hours, IIRC.

–Howard

70. October 15, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Biting my nails here. I want to attend; I’ve just got to be fast enough on the click!

— david j.

Posted by David Jones
  71. October 15, 2012 @ 10:06 am

Damn

Posted by David Jones
  72. October 15, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Well that went as I expected.. sold out in under 5 minutes. Each time I selected a registration, it was gone by the time I could hit the button.

Oh well, here’s hoping the waiting list pans out.

Posted by Mike Riley
  73. October 15, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Haha… Kenny’s room was my choice and… I had it! Then promptly lost it as I scrolled down to press submit. Oh well, like I said, I’m happy just huffing it from the hotel. I’m so happy I at least got that. This sold out in seconds. To those of you that made it, I’ll see you in June!

Posted by Nick
  74. October 15, 2012 @ 10:13 am

You guys are definitely going to have to do this again. Apparently my mouse clicking skills aren’t as fast as they needed to be.

Posted by amy hughes
  75. October 15, 2012 @ 10:14 am

So excited about being able to attend this event!

Posted by Jason Luu
  76. October 15, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Congrats to all those that made it! As for the rest of us… ah, well.

Posted by klmercer
  77. October 15, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Maybe we can look for cancelations later down the road?

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  78. October 15, 2012 @ 10:23 am

I made it in!!!!!! I can’t believe it. So excited about this — just kept clicking the reload button every few seconds until registration opened. Though I was in such a hurry there were some typos about food allergies…lol!

79. October 15, 2012 @ 10:26 am

well that was pretty exciting. can’t wait for June now!

Posted by Joseph
  80. October 15, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Congratulations to everyone who made it! I’ll see you all in June!

Posted by John
  81. October 15, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Hoo man. Registered, then my credit card got declined by Paypal. Then my bank called me to tell me they suspected “fraudulent activity” and I had to go through all this stuff to approve it over the phone.

Then my computer froze.

Luckily, it didn’t completely shut down, and it came out of it’s funk a few minutes later as I pounded my head on the desk.

Looks like I’m in Robinette’s Roost… by the skin of my teeth. ;)

Posted by Sean
  82. October 15, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Ah ha!!! Sean, so YOU were the one that was “pending” for so long! Congrats on getting in!

83. October 15, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Awesome. I managed to snag one of the Basic registrations and have already made a reservation at the BW. If you got a spot, I’ll see you in June! You all are invited to my birthday party, considering I turn 30 on June 13.

Mary, we had a nice long talk at Worldcon this year during the “Stroll With the Stars”. I’m the one who won their writing contest that Mike Resnick did and had my story get published in the souvenir book. After the walk was done, I gave that nice old man my iPhone to try to take a picture of us. It took him quite a few tries because he kept covering the lens with his fingers. Yup, that’s me!

See you all next summer!

Posted by Eric Elam
  84. October 15, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Sean, I would have been freaking out. Especially while on the phone with the fraud department as the timer for registration ticked down. Good on you for keeping your head and getting the slot in Robinette’s Roost. Very lucky indeed.

Posted by Nick
  85. October 15, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Thanks for the responses Mary and Howard! I was curious because I dropped some money at NYCC this weekend, and was hoping to at least snag a spot until the next paychecks come in. Ah well, hopefully this becomes a more-than-once kind of thing! Thanks again and have a blast everyone who got in!

Posted by Martin Cahill
  86. October 15, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I was one of the folks who had a suspicion that this would sell out quickly, and after camping the refresh button was lucky enough to get Dr. Walker’s room. I’m still feeling residual adrenaline an hour later. Today is my birthday and this served as a (tremendous) gift from family, so I’m very excited that it worked out.

Congratulations to all who got a spot. For those who didn’t, perhaps the waiting list will work in your favor, or of course there’s always the next one!

I cannot properly express how greatly I am looking forward to this, thanks to WX for putting it together.

Posted by John
  87. October 15, 2012 @ 11:56 am

I am so psyched to attend this (and with my husband, even better!) I’ve been debating a good way to further my writing education and 6 week workshops like Clarion aren’t a good fit for my life. This, though, is perfect. Glad there was such a high demand, maybe this will become a regular event!

Posted by Kate
  88. October 15, 2012 @ 11:58 am

@Nick- oh yeah, I was seriously stressing. Would’ve been shouting at my computer if I wasn’t at work. Heh.

Posted by Sean
  89. October 15, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

Congrats to all who made it!

Mary Robinette Kowal: if someone were to cancel in the future, would the Eventbrite website show an open slot, or how would that work?

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  90. October 15, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

I keep double checking my confirmation. Still hasn’t quite sunk in that I’m going. But that hasn’t stopped me from getting the time off work already. Starting to get curious about who will be there, though it is still such a long way off.

Posted by Christy
  91. October 15, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

Jesse, the website says:
    “Registration has sold out, but there is a waiting list available. If a spot opens up, you will be notified by email in the order in which your name is on the list. You will have 24 hours to respond once a spot opens.”
    So if you still want to try and go make sure you sign up on the waiting list asap!

Posted by Chelise
  92. October 15, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

@Jesse Cunningham — When someone cancels, we release the spot to the first person on the waiting list. They get an email alerting them and have 24 hours to respond. Then we go to the next person.

93. October 15, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Thanks all!

Posted by Jesse Cunningham
  94. October 15, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Very, very excited. Can’t wait until June!

@Eric Elam. You’re invited to my birthday party as well since I turn 28 on June 13th lol.

Posted by Mark
  95. October 15, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I’m going too! I can pick up anyone who might need a ride from Nashville or pick-up at the Chattanooga airport to save on money. Planning on heading down Sunday afternoon/evening. Feel free to send me a message or friend me on the face space. (My name should link to FB profile.)

Posted by Crystal Bryant
  96. October 15, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

@Mark – Nice! Should be interesting having two of us with the same birthday. We’ll have to get the group to do something fun after we’re done for the day.

Posted by Eric Elam
  97. October 15, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

I’m got in too! (I sneaked to the bathroom at work and registered on my phone. Worth it.) So excited for this workshop/retreat/all around awesomeness!

PS-anyone else flying from Utah?

Posted by Brittney Smith
  98. October 15, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

Stayed home from work to make sure I got in. Made my res with BW, too. Flying from Utah, maybe some of us can split a car or shuttle or something.

Posted by Jeff Whitaker
  99. October 15, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Brittany: I’m flying in from Utah, although I haven’t quite figured out where I’m flying TO just yet. I kind of like the idea of the shuttle from Atlanta.

And I’m turning *cough*fifty*cough* on June 11. This is my present to myself. Maybe we can have a collective party!

So excited.

Posted by Julie Frost
  100. October 16, 2012 @ 7:36 am

Comment #100! Boo ya! Like many of you, I was part of the worldwide group who was on the verge of wetting its collective pants yesterday. By grace alone did I not only keep dry pants, but managed to ensure I’ll be roosting it up Robin style on Walter’s king sized bed. A good day by anyone’s estimation.

Posted by Mike Thayer
  101. October 18, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in. Is it in the plans to make this a yearly event? I’d love to make it at some point, and another year will do me well in scrounging together the necessary funds…

Posted by Yakov Merkin
  102. November 5, 2012 @ 8:33 am

When we announced the first ever Writing Excuses retreat, and we were delighted to see how much interest you all had in this kind of event. Now, we can offer a scholarship as well.

103. January 6, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

[…] you can imagine my excitement when I found out they were hosting a writing workshop next year.  There were no advertisements for the workshop.  None of the authors posted it on […]

104. June 18, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

[…] he performed MANY SNUGGLES upon both Greyson and Spain the Cat … and altogether we went to the Writing Excuses retreat – not because we were proper attendees, but because we were in the neighborhood. We did BBQ […]

105. March 14, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

[…] question involves what I call “a massive yet slightly late announcement” about the “Out of Excuses” Workshop and Retreat. We also just announced a scholarship for the […]