By Writing Excuses | April 24, 2011 - 3:18 pm - Posted in Bonus, Conventions, News & Reviews

Question: What does Writing Excuses have in common with Isaac Asimov, Michael Whelan, and Batman?

Answer: We’ve all been nominated at some point for a Hugo award! (Just not all in the same year.)

Specifically: “Writing Excuses Season 4″ by Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler, and Dan Wells, produced by Jordan Sanderson, has been nominated for the 2011 “Best Related Work” Hugo. We’re honored, and we’re thrilled.

In very, very related news, Dan Wells has been nominated for the John W. Campbell award for Best New Writer, and Howard Tayler’s Schlock Mercenary: Massively Parallel has been nominated for Best Graphic Story.

Several former guests here on Writing Excuses have also been honored with nominations. Larry Correia was nominated for a Campbell Award, Eric James Stone’s “That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made” is up for Best Novelette, Moshe Feder is up for Best Editor, Long Form, Mary Robinette Kowal’s “For Want of a Nail” is up for Best Short Story, and Phil and Kaja Foglio’s Girl Genius Volume 10 is up for Best Graphic Story.

The voting will take place between now and sometime in July, and the winners will be announced at theĀ World Science Fiction Convention in Reno.

For a full list of Hugo and Campbell award nominees, as well as information about voting, past awards, and the history of the award itself visit thehugoawards.org. There’s also a list here on the Worldcon site.

Note: We’ll have a regular episode of Writing Excuses up in an hour or so. Don’t worry — we’re not using this nomination as an excuse to depart from our regular schedule of leaving you out of excuses.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 24th, 2011 at 3:18 pm and is filed under Bonus, Conventions, News & Reviews. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. April 24, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Congrats, hope you guys win!

Posted by Mike
  2. April 24, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

Congratulations on your well-deserved nominations!

Posted by Ruthann
  3. April 24, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Dan spilled the beans to some of us in Baltimore, but swore us to bean-counting secrecy.

My response was, and I quote: “See this?” *pointing at face* “This is my ‘completely unsurprised’ face.”

Posted by Matthew Bowman
  4. April 24, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Hey, you’re going to be related? Cool! Can we all come to the wedding? Or will you just have a civil ceremony?

Congrats! Hard work all around pays off, even if you do enjoy it, too.

5. April 24, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Thanks for mentioning my nomination. I’ve put my nominated story up for free on my websites: http://ejs.me/lev

Posted by Eric James Stone
  6. April 24, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Congratulations!!! You are so deserving of the award. I think, though, that only Renovation attending memberships give you final voting rights. $50 memberships give you the right to nominate but not to vote on final awards. At least that’s the case if I read the rules right.

Posted by whome
  7. April 24, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

My mistake. I did misread the rules. The phrase I misread was:
    “The second stage of voting is the final ballot. This stage is only open to Renovation members.”
    I thought it meant only attending members, but it means Aussiecon members can’t vote unless they buy Renovation memberships. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Posted by whome
  8. April 25, 2011 @ 12:37 am

@Whome: Exactly. Aussiecon members can nominate, as can earlybird Renovation members, but only Renovation members (attending and supporting) can vote on the final ballots.

9. April 25, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Congrats to all nominees!

Though the Campbell Award is named for John W. Campbell, editor of Astounding Science Fiction and nurturer of many a great sci-fi writer’s career, as opposed to Joseph Campbell, mythologist and author of The Hero with a Thousand Faces. :D

Posted by Priscellie
  10. April 25, 2011 @ 10:17 am

It HAS been a while since there’s been a pants joke, hasn’t it?

Seriously, congratulations and good luck to all of you. :-)

Posted by Laurie
  11. April 25, 2011 @ 11:41 am

Thanks, Priscellie — I totally spaced that. I’ll fix the blog entry.

12. April 25, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Congratulations guys! Love the podcast, well-deserved :) Unfortunately I can’t make it to Reno as I sorta live in Ireland AND I’m a broke secondary school student, but good luck!

Posted by Jonathan Ryan
  13. April 25, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I was pretty excited to be a Campbell finalist. Dan and I will now arm wrestle for it. That is the only fair way to decide the winner.

Posted by Larry Correia
  14. April 26, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Congratulations, guys. I’m very pleased to see the podcast nominated!

Posted by Dale Ivan Smith
  15. April 26, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Long ago and far away, a podcast on Joseph Campbell was promised to the people. If you started now, a cursory examination of the monomyth should yield enough podcasts to last until the time you receive your award(s).

Posted by Brian
  16. May 2, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Congrats to everyone! Hope you all win…but the smart money is on Larry’s armwrestling skills.

Posted by Jay
  17. May 17, 2011 @ 10:25 am

[...] The slogan of the Writing Excuses podcast team is “15 minutes long, because you’re in a hurry, and we’re not that smart.” Now, don’t be fooled. All joking aside, these podcasts are some of the most insightful, educational, and entertaining discussions for anyone interested in learning about all facets of the writing craft and business. In fact, the podcast was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Related Work. [...]