By Howard Tayler | February 21, 2010 - 6:32 pm - Posted in Career, Conventions, Education, Guest, Live, Plot, Q&A

Recorded live at LTUE 2010, here’s a high-energy Q&A session with the Writing Excuses crew and our special guest James Dashner, author of The Maze Runner. We cover outlining vs. discovery writing, the return to the hairy palate, education for writers, killing people, whether or not we want a bagel, pragmatic approaches, authors who don’t inspire us (and by “us” we mean “James Dashner”), and cooking up complex plots.

Note: Brandon says “Episode 6″ but he was totally wrong. This is 4.7, for real.

Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: James pitches one of his favorites to usFalse Memory by Dean Koontz

Writing Prompt: You’re flying in an airplane when a wing falls off… but the plane keeps going.

This episode of Writing Excuses has been brought to you by Audible.

Visit http://AudiblePodcast.com/excuse for a free trial membership*.

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 21st, 2010 at 6:32 pm and is filed under Career, Conventions, Education, Guest, Live, Plot, Q&A. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. February 21, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

I’m sorry I had to leave after the first one. You cats were on a roll.

Posted by Berin
  2. February 21, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

What a great episode! Everyone was hilarious and a lot of good information got out.

Now, is there any chance you guys could can-o-worms Side Plots? You mentioned it at the end of this cast and I don’t recall you going into depths about what makes a good side plot previously.

Also, I’m glad to hear you talk about writers you don’t like and how you can learn what you do not want to pursue via their works. Most authors are careful with how they speak about their fellow writers (for obvious and good reasons) but I sometimes think I need some bad examples to show me what not to do.

Posted by Andrew V
  3. February 21, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Andrew V: they did an episode on Sub-plots (which is the same I think. unless you mean a different type of side-plots) in season 3, though if that doesn’t cover what you want it to, you can ask for another on the subject.
    link: http://www.writingexcuses.com/2009/08/16/writing-excuses-season-3-episode-12-subplots/

Posted by Ian
  4. February 22, 2010 @ 12:12 am

Just for the record, those bacon-flavored mints that Dan handed out during the live show weren’t as fun as they sounded at first. Basically, if you took a big vat of white bacon fat, mixed in a little mint extract, stirred it up until the bacon fat was all gritty, and then pressed the end product into pill-shaped discs, that is what Dan’s bacon flavored mints were.

Worst of all is the fact that the more you sucked on them, the more oily they became.

What kind of cruel person buys this stuff for Dan, anyway?

Posted by AlanHorne
  5. February 22, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I thought my question was pretty original. I mean, who is ever concerned about people that don’t inspire you? It’s still useful information, I think. If not, at least they got a good laugh out of it.

Posted by T.J.
  6. February 22, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Whoa! Dan was on fire that day!

(And, as we all know, ninja’s can’t catch you if you’re on fire)

Posted by Jen
  7. February 22, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

This was actually super helpful, even though none of the questions immediately stuck out at me as being something I was interested in. I was stuck on the middle of my book and I knew I was missing something, and low and behold, Dan mentions that making a book complex enough involves having enough groups and side-characters involved. I realised that although I had a great ensemble of side-characters around who could have complicated things, I had made too many of them “helpers” whose interests moved the plot forward, and there weren’t enough cross-purposes to sustain the length of story I needed to get the main characters from B to C to D. To hark back to the old analogy that (I think it was Dave Farland?) gave, I wasn’t throwing enough rocks.

Now I can stop writing the end and beginning and rework the outline for the middle :)

Posted by Matthew Whitehead
  8. February 22, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

And for the textually oriented, a transcript…

9. February 23, 2010 @ 9:05 am

“Yeah…this Dan is on fire!”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

The question about death scenes ended my current excuse for not writing on my novel. Thanks to the questioner and you all for the (affirming) responses. Apparently, going for a shock once in awhile isn’t a bad thing. I shall now get to writing about the aftermath.

Posted by June Stormcrow
  10. March 6, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

You have given us an episode about how to develop an idea to a story. This seems to work if the story in question is plot driven. What if the intent is to have the story be about how the characters develop. So if someone has imagies of characters and their various relationships and an idea (not a story) how does one develop this?

Posted by Waverli
  11. March 7, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

@ Waverli

Hurt your Character. Think about what would upset them, what will make them stronger? Mostly figure out what will hurt them and throw it at them. That’s my idea anyways.

Posted by CM
  12. March 8, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Great podcast, I have nothing useful to say. I just enjoyed listening…and yes, I just ate a bagel.

Posted by Clifton Hill
  13. May 16, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

[…] previous episodes we’ve established the dichotomy between discovery writing and outline writing. In our ‘casts about process, we’ve […]