By Writing Excuses | October 16, 2008 - 8:42 pm - Posted in Bonus, Live

We talk among ourselves about some episodes of this podcast being “crunchy” and others being “fluffy.” “Crunchy” episodes are the ones where we have hard advice about writing. “Fluffy” episodes are the ones where we talk a little more philosophically about the profession.

This episode takes “fluffy” to a new, flufftastic level. Here are twenty minutes excerpted from almost sixty minutes we recorded in line at the Hero of Ages book release and signing event at the BYU Bookstore. It’s almost like being there, complete with the people in line who have read more of Brandon’s books than you have, and will spoil key points in them via t-shirts. We interview these people, and we also interview a few people who have dirty secrets about Brandon, but are unwilling to share them.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 16th, 2008 at 8:42 pm and is filed under Bonus, Live. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

1. October 16, 2008 @ 9:34 pm

Yay for the Leading Edge plug! *waves a little flag*

Posted by Conyngham
  2. October 16, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

“This is Writing Excuses bonus episode, 20 minutes long, cuz some people live a lost closer to the author than you do!””

Posted by Karl
  3. October 17, 2008 @ 9:53 am

And now I patiently wait by my mailbox for my pre-ordered signed an numbered copy to arrive from Utah IGNORING my officemate who got hers at Borders and is already finished reading the book and who is intent on torturing me with spoilers.

Posted by eliyanna
  4. October 17, 2008 @ 12:21 pm

Brandon, Dan, Howard and Jordan: It was wonderful to hear from all of you, and Emily, Brandon’s wife this podcast! I listen every chance I get. I’m one of the many hopeful writers out here in podcast land and I say, huzzah to you and greetings from Boise, ID.

Now, tell Brandon thanks for the reply to my decline of his party invite because I’m in Boise, ID and I remember meeting him at a Borders signing with Dave Farland (Wolverton) where it was only myself and my girlfriend, Beth who attended!
    Now I can say: “I knew him when he only had two people at a signing…” and tell him Boise can do better than two attendees! Get him up to the Rediscovered Bookshop in Boise for “AMOL” (The Wheel of Time book) and he’ll see!

Thanks!

Mike

Posted by Mike Shaffer
  5. October 17, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

I went to the Sam Weller’s signing and reading Wednesday night. It was a lot of fun. Aside from telling great stories, Brandon is a first-class person.

Posted by Hezekiah
  6. October 18, 2008 @ 9:18 pm

This really makes me wish I didn’t have to work late so I ended up missing this event. Course I really wish I didn’t have to work late, ever.

But the soothing voices of Dan, Howard, and that other guy, made me feel like I was right there.

Posted by 42
  7. October 19, 2008 @ 1:20 pm

Speaking of that other guy, I heard he like, wrote some book or something, which maybe had something to do with this episode. Any spoilers or anything that should prevent me from listening?

Posted by Raethe
  8. October 19, 2008 @ 7:35 pm

@Raethe

There are spoilers for the Mistborn books in the podcast ONLY if you haven’t read the first two. If you have read the first two, you are safe. They don’t spoil the Hero of Ages (Mistborn 3).

Posted by Eliyanna
  9. October 19, 2008 @ 10:24 pm

There is also a spoiler for Alcatraz 2.

Posted by Dan Wells
  10. October 23, 2008 @ 3:20 pm

I usually enjoy these podcasts, but it made me very uncomfortable when you guys made fun of the kid who likes Paolini. I think you guys can only redeem yourselves by putting more dragon into your podcasts.

Posted by Vi
  11. October 24, 2008 @ 1:16 pm

The spoiler for Alcatraz 2…isn’t really.

Posted by Peter Ahlstrom
  12. October 24, 2008 @ 2:29 pm

To be fair, 99% of the mockery was aimed at Paolini, not the kid in line. But yeah, I felt bad too. We should do a podcast on dragons just to make it up to him…though honestly I don’t know if we can say intelligent things about dragons for 15 straight minutes.

Posted by Dan Wells
  13. October 25, 2008 @ 2:49 pm

I think a podcast on magical creatures could be great, or made-up creatures in general, across genres (or at least in fantasy/sci-fi/horror). I think it’s interesting that dragons, or dragon-like things, are often in sci-fi as well, and are good just as often as evil. And another interesting question: why do people– especially 9 year old boys– like dragons so much?

Posted by Vi
  14. October 31, 2008 @ 6:48 pm

this one was pretty amusing, except for the jerks who let out info on the books on there shirts, what kind of jerk goes to an authors signing and pastes his plot twists on a shirt for all those readers who may be turned on to the series just by being at the signing. sorry for the tangent, i have yet to read alcatraz 2 so i was bummed

Posted by chris