In this episode we field some questions about elemental mystery. Here they are!
- How do you balance between two mysteries in the same story?
- What types of mysteries can fit well as sub-plots?
- What do you do when beta readers figure out the mystery really early?
- In the MICE quotient, are mysteries all “Idea” stories?
- How do you write a protagonist who is smarter than you are?
- How do you make sure your genius protagonist is still experiencing an interesting struggle?
- How do you make a kidnap victim more than just a MacGuffin?
- How “literary” can you make your mystery?
Liner Notes: The movie Howard referred to is Cellular, with Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, and Jason Statham.
Credits: This episode was recorded by Daniel Thompson, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Writing Prompt: Take a book or film that you enjoy, and write down every mystery you see.
Audiobook Pick-of-the-Week: I Am Princess X, by Cherie Priest, narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal
This episode of Writing Excuses has been brought to you by Audible.
Visit http://AudiblePodcast.com/excuse for a free trial membership.
Audible Free Trial Details
Get an audiobook of your choice, free, with a 30-day trial. After the trial, your paid membership will begin at $14.95 per month. With your membership, you will receive one credit every month, good for any audiobook on Audible.